Costa Rica San Jose Mission

Friday, October 19, 2012

Farewell, MTC!

Aaahhh! I'mma freak the freak out.

So close. So close. Two more days. I can't even believe it, yet I can totally believe it. I just got here, yet I've been here forever. The field is going to be so... amazing. I can't even express anything. People here always so calmly announce that they're leaving in a few days when asked. I just have like a breakdown episode of overwhelming joy and fear and excitement whenever I think or talk about the fact that I'm leaving for the mission field on Sunday night. I wonder what getting there will be like. Hopefully Monday is their P-Day. I've heard of mission presidents that practically send you from the airport to your first investigator appointment, and ones that give you a day to eat and take a nap. These flights will be the longest of my life since I won't be doing any of the things I'd usually do on an airplane. I really just want to get a Sudoku book at the airport, but I think we're supposed to do things that will make people around us interested in the gospel, which makes sense.

I have a goal to give away a Book of Mormon at the airport or on the plane. I bought one in English as well as Spanish to be ready for whatever situation I'm presented with. It's easy to be all pumped about it right now, but I'm sure that when I'm actually in the position where I have to make the effort to start a conversation, I'll suddenly have a fear of other human beings. We've been thoroughly taught here that we just need to open our mouths and begin talking, and the Spirit will guide us. I strive to have that faith. I just have to dive in head first. That's my method for these things. I've had to do it almost constantly at the MTC. What I mean by that method is that when I'm in situations and given responsibilities that stretch me out of my comfort zone, I have this moment where I have a split second to decide whether I'm going to hesitate and stress and get shy, or just push that all aside and dive into the situation, being outgoing and trying my best. It reminds me of pacing the edge of a pool of cold water. It's easier to just not think about the things that could be unpleasant or go wrong, and just dive in and experience it. I plan to do that throughout my whole mission, so I can find as many opportunities to teach, learn, and grow as the Lord will offer me.

To answer your question, I doubt that Elder Keysor and I will ever be companions in the field. Apparently those of us heading out into the field within just the next few weeks are going to have big responsibilities. The biggest wave of new missionaries is expected in February, and we're expected to train them. We'll be trained for our first 12 weeks, and then we're supposed to be able to train as soon as we're finished with that. That's awesome that you'll have some easy ways to get packages to me! Speaking of, thank you SO MUCH for the Chocolate Eclair Pie. It was the most pleasant surprise ever. The lady I was supposed to find wasn't around at first, so all these other medical workers sat us down and started to try to figure out what I was there for, if I needed some other shot, etc. Eventually they found the lady though and she took me to the fridge and I was so relieved. It was a super smash hit! I shared it with my district/some zonees and it was gone in about five minutes. Thanks also for all the stuff you sent me for the field. I'm going to appreciate it all so much, especially the Pod!

I don't know if I really have anything else specific to say, other than that I could not be more excited to get out and start serving the people of Costa Rica. This is a huge deal. People say your mission is like the plan of salvation. I'm finally about to leave the pre-earth life and be born to a (hopefully cool, nice, whatever) father that will train me, so I can have kids of my own (my trainees) and start many generations of families living the gospel. It's kind of weird concept. Don't know what I typed that. Some people go as far to compare your non-training-involved companions to be your spouse, but I won't venture into that territory. Anyway, now I'm just ranting because this email feels a little short. I love the gospel, and I already love missionary work! These will be the most incredible two years, I know it. So many great adventures and miracles lie ahead. I hope everyone is doing well wherever they are in their lives. Love everyone around you and look for opportunities to serve them. It's happiness. I love everyone, miss you all so much, and can't wait to let you know how Rica is! Adios.

I'm going to send several pictures in a separate e-mail. I doubt it'll work, but you know the drill. The drill is working, right? Meaning signing into my account and finding the pictures in the sentbox? I hope so! Thanks!


Jake and Elder Newman

Jake, Elder Keysor, Elder Knight, and Elder Merrill

Jake and Elder Fisher. They were college friends and are now both going to San Jose, Spanish Speaking on their missions! Kevin is headed to San Jose, California and Jake to San Jose, Costa Rica.

Jake and Elder Kevin Fisher

The district before they all started leaving into the field

No comments:

Post a Comment