Costa Rica San Jose Mission
Sunday, September 23, 2012
ONE MONTH!
Hello there.
Can you believe I've been here for one month tomorrow? I can't. We're gonna have a huge district anniversary celebration and party till the wee hours of the morning, or maybe we'll just teach some lessons and learn some Spanish. It really does feel like I just got here in some ways though. In many other ways, not so much. We've officially watched another district in our zone arrive to the MTC and then leave for the field, so we feel like old fogeys/MTC super seniors. Halfway done though! I get so excited when I see other missionaries leaving with their luggage early on Tuesday mornings, looking so happy and thrilled, because I simply cannot wait until that's me. I had no idea there was a regional conference. We definitely did not watch it here. Congrats on doing so well in the marathon, Dad! I'm not the least bit surprised. You're amazing. One of my biggest victories this week was in a zone-wide debate that began with Elder Keysor and me. He insisted that the Jimmy Neutron movie came after the TV show, and I knew that was absolutely absurd. The movie SPAWNED the TV show. He gathered a large band of followers, and I only found a few who would stick to what we knew in our hearts from our childhood. We got a teacher to Google it on his phone, and my team was gloriously correct.
I'm so sad that Grandma and Grandpa won't be here while I am! Tell Grandpa I hope the surgery and recovery go well. Also tell them that I met a senior couple called The Wilkins, and that the guy was their stake president! They say hi. An MP3 player sounds great. You can rub it in my face all you want, Mom! Haha. Getting one and loading it with songs was just one more thing I didn't want to have to do in the crazy days leading up to my departure. But now it sounds very nice, and I would love it. Another song that I would love if you can find it is one called "Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer." I don't know any specific versions of this one either, but I'm sure any will do. I also realized that if you haven't been able to find the Sufjan Stevens album, you can download it from my iTunes account with the Cloud thing. I'll give you that info if you need it. Also, can you burn an extra copy of the Sufjan album onto CD's and send them? A sister, Hermana Stum, in our district heard me mention it and said she would really, really love a copy. She realizes that's kind of asking a lot-ish though, so if not, that's fine.
Thank you to all the friends who have written me in the past week! I loved it. Please keep it up! Letters are what keep me going on the harder days. NALISE AND SISTER OLSEN! Oh my goodness. Thank you SO much for the many, many treats. I am absolutely loving them, as is the entire floor of our residence building. That was so thoughtful and nice of you guys. Nalise, I want to write you back, but I don't have an address! But really, thanks so much. Thank you everyone for everything! I'm just filled with so much love for everyone I talk to here and receive letters from. The Spirit is so abundant. Part of the reason why is because I watched a life-changing talk last Sunday. It was an MTC Fireside, so I don't know if it's available to the public online. But if you can find it, everyone reading this watch "The Character of Christ" by Elder Bednar. I promise you'll see things differently.
I'm also loving teaching more and more every day. Even though they're not real investigators, I get so nervous every time we knock on the door to a "house." However, the Spirit guides us, and I leave feeling so fulfilled at the end of each and every lesson, and time just flies by while we're in there. Oh yeah, family, Sister Toleafoa is a sister in my district and her family lives in Orem. So if you ever happen to meet them, you'll have a fun connection. I think that's all I really have to say this week! Again, thank you so much everyone for everything. I'm enjoying my time here decently, but I can't wait to get out into the field! Love you all and miss you as always.
--Elder Hampton
Here is the link to the talk Jake mentioned:
http://www2.byui.edu/Presentations/Transcripts/ReligionSymposium/2003_01_25_Bednar.htm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment