I finally had turtle eggs this week! This drunk guy started talking to us on the street, trying to use verses from the Bible to justify drinking, then all the sudden he asked if we wanted to try some turtle eggs at the fish shop across the street. We went over there, and he bought us these little cups filled with red liquid and floaty chunks. The yolk of the turtle egg was in there. I don't know what the liquid was, but they called it 'sangrita,' which would mean 'little blood,' so that had me pretty nervous. I assumed it was one of those things that was a weird delicacy and hopefully tasted better than it looked. The guy who bought it for us then drank his and gagged twice, spitting some out and barely getting it down. I just stood there and Mr. Krabsed for a few seconds. Then I tried one sip of the sangrita and was like 'Yeah, there's no way.' I offered mine to the guy and he for some reason wanted it, so that was a lucky escape.
I'm sending a whopping eleven letters today! They're for everyone who sent me a letter in the package that I had a return address for, as well replies to a couple other letters I've received. I didn't have Erin's address till today, so I'll be sending her a letter at the next opportunity, but everyone who sent something in the package can expect a letter in the next few weeks! Don't worry, Mom, I'm okay. Just entering the holiday season without family or friends was a little hard at first. Everything's fine though.
Things are still progressing little by little with the Modern Family. Yesterday was stake conference in San Jose, so it was kind of awkward and pointless to invite people to church. We still did, but only one investigator came to the conference with us. Anyway, we have a goal with several of them to get baptized on the 22nd. The dog that attacked me didn't do any damage to my pants, luckily. We've tried talking to them about trying to give us a safer way across their yard when we come. I also try to just pray super hard and have a ridiculous amount of faith like Peter walking on the water, and not let the growls of the dogs cause me to falter. It's funny, but it really is a real problem that freaks us out every time we go.
There was one exciting announcement at changes meeting. Elder Christofferson is coming to our mission in January! He was just here like a month before I got here, so the fact that he's already coming back must mean pretty big things. President says he feels like super huge, new things are going to be happening in our mission very soon. Still no news about the Christmas call... I think we'll find out at zone conference this week. I think you can pretty much plan on Skype though. I think I'm friends with Morgan on it? and we're thinking it'll probably be during the day on the 24th. I'll let you know for sure though. People celebrate Christmas on the 24th here. That's when they open all their presents and have their big get togethers, and then the 25th is like a day of resting from all that. I'll probably open one of those wrapped gifts from the package on Christmas Eve to be little cultural haha.
Ah, I can't even tell you how much irrational joy overcame me to learn that you guys are still watching LOST and getting into it! Dad, the fact that you could name so many different characters and mention all these plot points was so exciting. I thought you guys would be anti forever. I'm so happy to see that you want to figure out what's going on and the roles of each of the characters. So fun. Please, keep my updated on your thoughts, theories, and questions (even though anyone who's watched LOST with me knows that I answer any plot question with 'I guess you'll just have to keep watching to find out!).
I think that's all I really have to say this week, but I'll totally send a couple pictures! Love you guys!
--Elder Hampton
| Jake with the zone leader who left recently. |
| Jake and his nog box |
No comments:
Post a Comment