We had a one-month checkup meeting with the President on Friday in the mission office, so I was able to get my package there! WOW. Thank you so, so, so much. It's already made it the best Christmas possible for being away from loved ones in a different country. You guys went all out. I love it. I don't know how you managed so collect so many friend letters, but thank you! It made my season. I can't wait to reply to everyone. Ha, I got a few letters in addition to the package, and one of them was a card from Tyson, as in my cousin! It was a wonderful surprise, a great little note with a fantastic drawing inspired by Super Mario games. I'll be excited to write to him (as well as Vickie and Andrew, haha).
It's been a little bit of an emotionally difficult week, so getting that package totally made up for it. I couldn't even tell it's been opened. It appears that everything that was once wrapped is still wrapped, so I'll save it for Christmas morning. I LOVE the piano solos! Great idea. The candy is great! Thanks for the nog almonds! I just discovered a couple days ago that they sell egg nog here, and YEAR ROUND! Can't believe I've been missing out this long. I got a juice box size, as well as a big carton, the other day at the store. It tastes a little different, but still contributes to it being the most wonderful time of the year.
I love fasting. I have such a strong testimony that fasting is such a direct way to see the blessings of the Lord in your life. In the Modern Family family, there's a man named M---. He's always been super quiet and in the corner during the lessons, hardly ever reads the Book of Mormon or prays, and has said he just isn't sure when we talk to him about baptism. He also has a couple issues with the Word of Wisdom, and generally usually seems not very excited to listen to or talk to us. It's seemed like he just sits in on the lessons because that's what the whole family is doing. I started a fast for M--- on Saturday in the evening, that we might be able to know how we can help him become more converted, and that he could have his heart softened and be more willing to make changes and come unto Christ.
About ten minutes after I started my fast, we called him, as suggested by another family member, just before the time he usually goes out drinking with friends. He answered super cheerfully, said he was sober and home for the night, and would come to church the next day. We were nervous about anyone from that house showing up on their own to church, so we went to pick them all up on Sunday morning. We hadn't even approached the house yet when M--- walked outside, saying that nobody else could come to church, but that he was coming. And then he walked with us to church. I was dying with happiness! The M--- I knew a week ago would never go to church without being dragged by his family. He even asked if he could have a couple tithing slips while we were at the chapel! It's appearing that he and some of his family members will be the next people we baptize. The only thing I dislike about that family is that they have like five dogs that attack anything that moves, including innocent puppies and me. They only got my pants though. I'm gonna be praying mightily every time we visit them from now on though.
I was hit pretty strongly by something that was said in the District videos we watch during companionship study while I'm being trained. A sister missionary said something about how, as missionaries, seeing people choose not to come to church and do the right things when they know they're supposed to, is probably a tiny taste of how our Heavenly Father feels when he has to watch us knowingly ignore his will. Of course, I always strive to obey His commandments, but that perspective helps me feel it and have an even stronger desire to obey.
We taught L--- and N--- for just three short weeks! They're so perfect and amazing. I doubt that Elder Baca or I will be changed this week since he's still training me. We'll find out tonight though if anything weird's happening and we get changed. We did get to see the Christmas Devotional last night! But there was nobody around to set up an English transmission for us gringos, so we had to watch it dubbed in Spanish. I understood most of it, and it was fantastic. It was easy for my mind to wander when I didn't understand certain sections so well... but I got the general messages. I loved the music, partly because it kept showing Mr. Summers playing the trumpet haha.
I have never met this Elder Kouha, but I will keep an eye out for him! We've only got haircuts once so far since I've been here. We just went to a salon. It's way cheaper here. Where we went, it was only $4, and I don't think there's really the concept of tipping. Today was an awesome P-Day! A few companionships in our zone went to a Parque Diversiones to celebrate one of the zone leader's very last P-day. . It's a small amusement park, about half as good as Lagoon in size and quality. Fun times. Think that covers the highlights of the week! Thanks SOOO much for the package! BTW I'm doing everything I can to keep the fungus under control. Some more Toe Juice would be nice. Anyway, love you guys so much! You're the best! Can't wait to talk to you!
--Elder Hampton
No comments:
Post a Comment